A 1936 view of Lang Station in today's Canyon Country, just east of the modern Shadow Pines
exit off of state Route 14. This is actually the second Lang Station; the first one, built
circa 1873 as a stage station for Remi Nadeau's freighters out of the Cerro Gordo mines,
burned down in an 1888 brush fire.
Lang, the site of the 1876 golden spike
ceremony that united northern and southern California, remained in use until the late 1960s
when the Southern Pacific Railroad ended passenger service. Dedicated as a State Historic
Landmark in 1957, the station was torn down by Southern Pacific in 1971.
A plaque near the station reads:
LANG SOUTHERN PACIFIC STATION
On September 5, 1876, Charles Crocker, President of the Southern Pacific Railroad
drove a gold spike to complete his company's San Joaquin Valley line. First rail connection
of Los Angeles with San Francisco and transcontinental lines.
REGISTERED HISTRORICAL LANDMARK No. 590
Plaque placed by California Park Commission in cooperation with Historical Society
of Southern California, June 15, 1957.