Saugus Elementary School opened in 1908 on a section of Charles and Anita
Kellogg's farm (in the "triangle" between modern-day Magic Mountain Parkway, Bouquet Canyon
Road and Valencia Boulevard). Three families each contributed $100 for the construction of the wooden,
New England-style building, which was added onto as the area grew.
It closed during the 1977-78
school year because the population of Saugus had shifted north of Bouquet
Junction and the location was no longer practical as a school site.
Purchased by a private developer, the buildings were remodeled and expanded into
the aptly named Saugus Schoolhouse Emporium, a shopping center.
The bell from the tower of the Saugus School was stored by the Santa Clarita Valley Historical Society
after the school closed. The Society placed the bell on permanent loan to the city of Santa Clarita
for use in the tower of the Jan Heidt Metrolink Station in downtown Newhall, where it hangs today.
The Newhall Metrolink station opened March 18, 2000 ironically (by coincidence rather than by design),
exactly where the original Newhall train station was located after 1878.
The Saugus School bell was fabricated by the C.S. Bell Company of Hillsboro, Ohio.
It is made of cast iron, weighs approximately 400 pounds and measures 30 inches in diameter at the base (overall
measurements are 24 by 36 inches, including housing and a wheel that once fit a rope to ring the bell).