Mentryville was a booming little oil town in Pico Canyon from about the time of the success of "Pico No. 4" in 1876 until the early 1930s.
In this photo, the "Big House" (1898) is clearly visible at lower right; the dance hall that
no longer exists is behind it; and the Felton School (1885) is behind that in the trees. The barn is at lower left. Other structures
are visible in the photo that no longer exist today. Notice that the school and barn are cream-colored, and the water tower has not yet been installed (had it been,
it would appear at left in this photo).
See the same view of Mentryville after the water tank was added, here.
In 1962, A.B. Perkins wrote the following caption to a copy of this photograph:
[...] As of 1928, (starting lower right) Charles Sitzman lived in the big house, next cabin was unoccupied, next the school, then the dance hall, then the T. D. Ary, then Chester Johnson, and last on that side Milford Cheney. Starting on the lower left, the barn, then John McDermott's home, Josh Wooldridge, Pete Pinkston, and the second boarding house by the shale bank. Not shown, about a mile further up the canyon was Hugh Barton's, and the William Biscalluz cottage, the Cochems cabin, old boarding house. Apparently, employees could build cottages on Company ground. If transferred, or leaving company employ, the builders could sometimes sell their places to the Company if it was wanted or move them.
Pico Canyon / Mentryville Index
The Pico Ghost Camp by Arthur B. Perkins, 1962.
The Story of Mentryville by Leon Worden, 1996 ff.
AP2018: 9600 dpi jpeg from copy print | Same as HS0500