City Council, 1996-98
Santa Clarita, California
The City of Santa Clarita was incorporated on
December 15, 1987 and encompasses the major portions of the communities of Newhall, Saugus,
Canyon Country and Valencia. Santa Clarita has a "city manager" form of government and
a part-time City Council. Council elections are held in April of even-numbered years. Council
members are elected to four-year terms.
City Council members for the period 1996-98 (from left to right in photograph) are listed
by name, occupation and year first elected:
- Jo Anne Darcy, county supervisor's field deputy, 1987
- Janice Heidt, book store owner, 1987
- Carl Boyer III (seated), high school teacher, 1987
- Hamilton Clyde Smyth, retired school superintendent, 1994
- Jill Klajic, community activist, 1996 (also 1990-94)
The office of Mayor rotates annually among Council members. Carl Boyer III served as Mayor in 1996
and H. Clyde Smyth in 1997.