Santa Clarita Valley History In Pictures
> AGUA DULCE
Wilson's Restaurant: Printed Stick Matchbook
Sleepy Valley | Agua Dulce


Click image to enlarge

Front strike printed stick matchbook, Wilson's Restaurant, 13136 Sierra Highway 6, Saugus, phone Newhall 8714J4.

The restauraunt was a popular roadside stop in the 1950s. Los Angeles County Assessor records show a 1951 construction date for the 4,744-square-foot building. It's located in the community of Sleepy Valley, which today (2014) is considered part of Agua Dulce. Before the road was called Sierra Highway, it was known as U.S. Highway 6. "Sierra Highway 6" might indicate a transitional period between the two names.

Map printed on inside cover; matches printed with distances from various cities, as follows:

Salt Lake City — 684 mi.

Reno — 500 mi.

San Francisco — 357 mi.

Las Vegas — 245 mi.

Bishop — 234 mi.

Lancaster — 28 mi.

Palmdale — 20 mi.

WILSON'S

San Fernando — 21 mi.

Ventura — 50 mi.

Hollywood — 45 mi.

Los Angeles — 52 mi.

Balboa — 101 mi.

Palm Springs — 172 mi.

San Diego — 184 mi.

Today (2014) the building is home to the Holy Alamo Christian Foundation.


LW2651: 19200 dpi jpeg from original matchbook purchased 2014 by Leon Worden.
SLEEPY VALLEY

thumbnail
Oaks Garage (Le Chene) 1910s-20s x8

thumbnail
Highway 1940s

thumbnail
Wilson's 1950s

thumbnail
Wilson's 1950s

thumbnail
El Nino 1997-98

thumbnail
Lawyer Goes After Alamo Property 2014

thumbnail
Fire Damages Verbiesen Ranch 2017

RETURN TO TOP ]   RETURN TO MAIN INDEX ]   PHOTO CREDITS ]   BIBLIOGRAPHY ]   BOOKS FOR SALE ]
SCVHistory.com is another service of SCVTV, a 501c3 Nonprofit • Site contents ©SCVTV • Additional copyrights apply
comments powered by Disqus
Click for Forecast from weatherUSA   • Edwards Valencia
  • Edwards Cyn Ctry
  • Calendar
  • Freeway Conditions
  • Lowest Gas Prices
  • Canyon Theatre
  • REP Theatre