Official guests and dignitaries ride to the Lang Station site aboard a Metrolink train
from Union Station in Los Angeles and various points along the way.
Organized by Metrolink at the site of the former Lang Station, the quasquicentennial (125th anniversary) celebration of the
"joining of the rails" with a golden spike on Sept. 5, 2001, included representatives of the Chinese Historical
Society of Southern California, the Santa Clarita Valley Historical Society and the State Rail
Museum, among others.
Former California Secretary of State March Fong Eu, who was the ranking official at the centennial
celebration in 1976, gave the keynote address, extolling the labors and sacrifices of 3,000 Chinese
immigrants who united California and connected Los Angeles with the world.
Lang Station itself, located 1/4 mile east of today's state Route 14 at Shadow Pines, was dedicated
as California Historic Landmark No. 590 in 1957 and was torn down in 1971 after the Southern
Pacific Railroad eliminated passenger service.
Photo by Leon Worden.