Born in July of 1839 in the British West Indies, George Campton emigrated to the United States during the Civil
War and married a 19-year-old native Californian named Gregeria. He opened Newhall's first general store at the junction of modern-day Bouquet Canyon Road and Magic Mountain Parkway in September 1876.
A year and a half later, Campton and the rest of Newhall picked up and moved two miles south, to the corner of Railroad Avenue and Eighth Streets.
Campton's store housed the Newhall Post Office (est. January 16, 1877, at original town site).
Campton remodeled his store a few times during the 1880s and 1890s.
This photograph shows the store the way it appeared shortly after it was moved to the Railroad Avenue location.
For more information read this George Campton Biography.